Friday, March 31, 2017

New Person, Same Old Medicine

Hello internet users!


Feeling good? Yes? That's good. I am glad to hear it. It always makes me feel warm inside when I know that each and every one of my dedicated viewers is having a good time. If at any point in your life you are not having a good time, I want you to know that you can come to me and we can talk it out. I feel like we have gotten to know each other pretty well.

Anyways enough about you, let's talk about what you really want to read about: me. After the tragic loss of Carol last week, I had to look to new horizons to finish off my senior project in these final three weeks. My mom is friends with Dr. Lalani and she asked if there was something else I could do in his office. He gave me the number of a physician's assistant named Heather. I left Heather a voice mail pleading for some sort of structure in this chaotic spiral I was slowly descending into. She texted me and informed me of a new possible on-site mentor. Her name is Sarah and she is the professional and spiritual successor to Carol.

I may not have the same, witty rapport with Sarah that I had established with Carol, but her position in Dr. Lalani's office is essentially the same as Carol's was which means that I do relatively the same kind of tasks that I have become accustomed to. The only problem with coming into the office now is that all the work on the PGX study that needed to be done in the office was completed by me during my first four weeks of my project. So Sarah and Heather had to find new tasks for me to do. However, even though what I did this week in the office was not related to the PGX study, I still developed valuable skills in learning how to look at patients charts electronically and help Heather with tasks that make her life easier.

To explain what I did this week, first you have to understand that when a doctor visits a patient many of the important notes that they take are hand-written and then later scanned into the patients electronic charts to be kept on file. Now when these patients come back for a follow-up visit with Heather, the problem is that many times Heather does not have these hand-written notes (labelled as "progress notes") on hand. So, it was my job this week to take all the patients that she will see in the next few weeks and print out their progress notes and then attach these progress notes to their physical, paper charts, which Heather actually has. This way Heather has all of the information that she needs before she meets with her patients. If I didn't do this, then either Sarah or Heather would need to do it themselves and they don't got time for that. They have more important stuff to do. Or at least I would hope that they do. Also, I learned that insurance companies like to know what kind of tests have been performed on the patients, so in addition to the progress notes, I also had to print out a series of results of tests that were done on Heather's diabetes patients to then fax to the insurance companies.

All in all, it felt good to be back in an office, feel productive, and feel like I was actually helping someone with something, hopefully making their life easier. I printed out sooooo many progress notes. Lemme tell you, Heather is stacked with progress notes. She has all of the progress notes she could ever need. Well I hope you had a good time reading this. Catch ya next week!




25 comments:

  1. You're the sweetest.. Thank you! Are you doing well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexis! I am doing well and I hope your week was good also!

      Delete
  2. "Spiritual successor" 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jack, It's nice to see that everything worked out. Maybe in time you will have that witty relationship you had with your old mentor but work wise you seem set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey! Thanks, I am glad everything worked out too. I am hoping that Sarah and I will start clicking on a conversational level.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you were super productive this week. I'm also glad to hear you are still learning new things in the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr. Carey! I have learned that there are always new things to learn in the workplace!

      Delete
  5. That was a mighty fine job you did there Jack. Sounds like everyone needs help around there. It was good that you could help attach the patient info. I hope that your new mentor is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spencer! Heather and Sarah are pretty awesome. They always find something for me to do which is awesome considering that they have actual jobs that they need to focus on also.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jack! Will Carol's replacement ever fill the empty gap? Also, aren't there complications with HIPPA if you access the patient information?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dhanya! I'm not sure if anyone can replace Carol, but she will always hold a special place in my heart. And yeah there is probably some violation but I won't tell anyone if you don't.

      Delete
  7. Jack that post 😂. I'm happy you are feeling more at home after the crushing blow of Carol's departure. Three things this week: do you think your work on PGX will be used more in the future? Also, what are your plans besides printing out notes? Finally, did you watch the Rick and Mortg season premiere this past weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dalton! I think that as a whole medicine will move more towards individualization and taking into account genes is a part of that. Besides printing notes, I have been working on my power point for my final presentation. AND YES OF COURSE I SAW THE SEASON PREMIERE IT WAS AMAZING. But sadly I don't think the rest of season 3 will come out until summer but oh well at least we got an episode.

      Delete
  8. Hey Jack, it sounds like you have been doing much better! From what you have seen so far, would you want to pursue this as a career?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! I don't know if I would want to work in a doctor's office but right now I am going into college with the idea of majoring in biomedical engineering so I think I could potentially deal a lot with genes in my career.

      Delete
  9. Hi jack! It seems like your project is keeping up even with the many obstacles. I wish you luck for your remaining two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I hope the rest of my project goes swimmingly!

      Delete
  10. Hey Jack, seems like things are going well, which is good to hear! What else do you think you are going to do besides the progress notes? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Srishti! I am also printing out test results that companies need to make sure the best care is being given. Stay tuned for my week 9 post where I will talk about it!

      Delete
  11. Woohoo! That's great that you're helping Heather! When you feel like you aren't doing anything of importance in the office it can really lower your morale, so I'm glad you're keeping it high! Enjoy this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I am trying to keep the morale as high as possible!

      Delete
  12. Hey Jack. It seems like things are back on track. Hopefully, in the coming weeks, you will be able to work on your research for the study as well. Keep up the great work and can't wait to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anisha! I am glad to be back in the office making some sort of impact. I don't know if that impact is positive or negative yet but, hopefully, I will find out. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  13. I feel you Jack. But at least you got to see a different side to your site, rather than solely focusing on your project! I think it's really cool that you got to do this because insurance and cost of care are huge issues for the patient! By the way, have you decided what your "final product" will be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin! It's interesting to see all of the results that companies need. For the final product, if we are still required to have one (idk if we are), I'll probably write a paper detailing what the study is, what I learned, and any information about genes or enzymes that I learned that will make it easier to understand.

      Delete