Thursday, March 16, 2017

Research as a Lone Wolf

I'M BACK. Hope you all missed me, because you know I missed sharing my life with you all. My spring break was pretty fun. I'm sure all of your spring breaks were pretty fun too. Honestly with nothing to do though sometimes I get a little crazy, so it feels good to be back.




Anyways, Carol is actually on vacation this week so if I went into the office there would not be anything for me to do, because she is in charge of all the PGX study stuff. So, I took this week to stay at home and research the different genetic and enzymatic processes behind the study so that I could better understand it and be able to explain it to others in the future.

So, to start my research (and I began to explain it in my Week 4 blog post if you want to refer to that), I looked at Cytochrome p450 which is a group of enzymes responsible for the metabolizing of a myriad of the most common drugs prescribed by doctors. Now it is important to understand these enzymes for the obvious reason that they deal with exactly what the PGX study hopes to accomplish which is to investigate which drugs metabolize well in the patient. Enzymes included in Cytochrome p450 are ones that start with the letters CYP. This is integral to know since half of the genes that are tested for in the PGX study start with the letters CYP and those genes code for the enzymes that start with the letters CYP.

In my Week 4 post I mentioned the CYP2C9 gene which codes for the enzyme of the same name. As it just so happens, some common drugs act as CYP2C9 enzyme inhibitors and if a patient is already a poor metabolizer of the drugs that are broken down by the CYP2C9 enzyme then they will experience adverse effects from those drugs. Looking at CYP2C9 as an example, we can understand more broadly how the study operates. By looking at the genetic code of a patient, we can see whether that patient is a poor, normal, or rapid metabolizer of 12 specific genes and then we can recommend the drugs that do not inhibit the production of the enzymes that the patient naturally does not produce very well.

Well, I can't divulge all of the information that I researched, because then this blog post would become more like a biochemistry paper instead of a blog post. However, learning about all of these biological mechanisms will make it much easier to explain everything when I inevitably have to present what I did over ten weeks in a power point. But I am glad I did the research, because it was actually pretty interesting. Soooooooooooo i'm done here I guess. See ya'll next week. Quick shout out to Dalton for leaving a dope comment. This gif is for you!


Get Schwifty!!!!!!


20 comments:

  1. Fun chill week at home I see! So a bit off topic but how did you decide on studying genes and medication? Very interesting subject! Thank you for the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alexis! So, I knew I wanted to do something with medicine and my mom knows the Doctor who is the head of the office so he had this study going on and said I could help out with it. So basically my mom hooked it up.

      Delete
  2. My man! Congrats on the additional week off; glad to see you spent it doing things of the productive nature. I know you've probably researched other genes besides the CYP2C9 gene in relation to enzyme activity, so are there any more drastic effects of this type of interaction than mere drug catabalization failures? Also, have you had any contact with the other patients, or are you still recovering from the first contact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dalton! To my knowledge the main problem is the slow rate of metabolizing that some patients experience but I will continue to research it and keep you updated. Also, I am hoping in week 8 to have more patient interaction.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jack!Love the Rick and Morty gifs. What kind of adverse affects can patients experience if they are poor metabolizer of the drugs broken down by the CYP2C9 enzyme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dhanya! The adverse effects the patients experience would be mainly due to the medication not solving the issue that its supposed to solve. Any other adverse effects are typically not that serious such as itchiness, swelling, or something along those lines.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jack, I'd bet all the students in the school would envy your two week spring break! Anyways, how common would you say the genetic differences in metabolizing some of the drugs the office studies are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! I honestly can't say how common they are, because I am only ever looking at people who have these genetic differences and not an entire population of people where I can compare those who have these differences and those who do not.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jack! Nice to see you got a week off. What are some of the adverse effects that patients could possibly experience if the patients are poor metabolizer of those drugs broken down by the enzyme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Srishti! The adverse effects are basically due to the drugs not solving the issue they are supposed to solve. So like if a painkiller is not working because the patient is a poor metabolizer then the patient's adverse effect would be pain. But sometimes the patients experience non-serious effects like itchiness, swelling, or something along those lines.

      Delete
  6. Wow how fun! I hope you enjoyed the week at home! That's so awesome that you got to do research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren! The week at home was super relaxing!

      Delete
  7. Hi jack! Seems like you had a pretty laid back week. It is great that you are doing more research outside of the office. It seems like your project is going by great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! The research at home was very helpful!

      Delete
  8. Hello Jack! It's great that your adviser was not here this week because you were able to do more research that will help you. Continue the great work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jack. Sounds like you had a very productive week. I was wondering if genes starting with CYP are the only genes that code for enzymes that metabolize the drugs used by the patients or if there are other genes that also perform this same task and if they are why weren't those genes used in this PGX study? Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha! So I looked at the CYP genes because they 6 out of the 12 genes that are looked at for the PGX study are CYP genes. The other 6 do not start with CYP but are also important for metabolizing drugs. The CYP ones are interesting to look at, because they help in the metabolizing of over 100 commonly used drugs.

      Delete
  10. Nice research so far Jack! I guess you got lucky to stay two weeks away from the office haha. What drug might be an example of acting as a CYP2C9 enzyme inhibitor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Spencer! Great question! A very common drug that acts as a CYP2C9 enzyme inhibitor is Warfarin which is used to treat blood clotting/high cholesterol.

      Delete