Friday, March 24, 2017

Mourning the Loss of a Great Mentor

Hello everyone. Today is a sad blog post.


I know you all have gathered here today to be entertained by another one of Jack's amazingly comedic blog posts, but alas this one will be dreadfully serious. Today, we sit here at our individual computers and contemplate the loss of Jack's greatest mentor and friend, Carol. On Monday March 20th, 2017, Carol resigned from her position at Dr. Lalani's office to have a better life somewhere else. Although I know that somewhere deep down she would love to still work in the field of medicine, the petty, verbal kerfuffles between the coworkers she oh so despised finally got the best of her. She couldn't take it anymore. Years of being underappreciated finally beat her down and won a long war of attrition. The conflict ultimately climaxed when she finally had an epiphany at the end of her vacation and decided that she would not be returning to work on Monday.

In many ways, Carol quitting her job made my life harder. On one hand, I lost my on-site mentor, but more importantly I lost a friend. On the other hand, I learned a lot from Carol's actions. She told me before she left that in America it doesn't really matter how long you have worked somewhere or how good you are at your job, because if you do not have the proper credentials (i.e. college degrees) then you will not go very far in life. I think that this is a very important lesson to learn especially for people in high school, because you always hear about how important college is but not usually from someone who actually wishes that they had gone to school for longer. So, in the end, am I upset that Carol left? In the same way that you are upset when your dog is terminally ill and in pain and you have to put him/her down. You wish you did not have to live through the whole situation, but it's for the best. I know that Carol will be in a better place. She told me that her husband is some master tennis court builder or something so she is gonna try to get in on some of that action.

So since Carol was in-charge of everything I was working on in the office, I didn't get the opportunity to come in this week, but I'm working on being able to shadow a physician's assistant named Heather for the remaining 3 weeks which would be awesome. I would get to do more hands on stuff and see if interacting with patients is something that I would like to do as a part of my future profession. Instead of going in this week, I continued to do research on enzymes and their processes in the body. Apparently there are some medications like Humira which are not metabolized by the cytochrome p450 enzymes so they are just not tested for in the PGX study. I thought this was interesting, because it shows a shortcoming of the experiment.

Anyways, I just hope Heather is as much of a bro as Carol was. I hope to see you all next week with some interesting stories! LONG. LIVE. C@ROL.




22 comments:

  1. Aw, wow, you definitely have the most captivating titles Jack. Sorry you lost your mentor, but hopefully you will get to do even more interesting stuff with Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loss of Carol was heart-breaking, but you can check out my new post where I talk about my adventures with Heather and Carol's replacement, Sarah!

      Delete
  2. Hey Jack. Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully, your new mentor will continue to be as helpful with your project as Carol was. Anyways, looking forward to your nest post and more great gifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha! Thanks! I will continue my search for the greatest gifs to share with you!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry you have lost your on site mentor Jack, but it seems like you are still in good hands with the Physician Assistant. It's great that you are learning some life lessons during your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr. Carey! I did not expect to learn so many life lessons but I guess no one ever knows when life will give them a lesson to be learned.

      Delete
  4. Rest In Peace. I hope that you finish strong in these last three weeks Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Spencer! I hope these remaining three weeks will be as strong as ever!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you lost your mentor. Hopefully, you get to continue and work with Heather! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I don't know Carol personally, she seemed like a really cool person. Hopefully, you two can get back on your feet after this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! Sometimes life is rough but we will pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and keep going!

      Delete
  7. Hi jack! Sorry about Carol. It seemed like you two got really far on this project. Hopefully her leaving does not take too much of a toll on your project. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. RIP Carol. Good luck on your next three weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin! I'm hoping the remaining three weeks will go well!

      Delete
  9. Carol is probably relaxing on a hand-built tennis court in Bolivia, she's fine. I'm sorry to hear that your mentor just upped and left in the middle of your internship, but hey, now you get two perspectives on medical work! Does Heather have the same credentials as dear Carol? Also, is Heather running with the experiment to the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dalton! Haha Carol is probably lounging somewhere having the time of her life. Heather is a physicians assistant so she has more credentials than Carol and the PGX study is now being overseen by Carol's replacement, Sarah.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jack! Sorry about Carol. Losing your mentor mid-project cannot be easy. Anyways,do you know which enzymes metabolize the drugs like Humira that are not included in the study?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dhanya! Humira actually works by blocking certain enzymes from working, in particular it acts as a blocker for Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF). I am not exactly sure which particular enzyme breaks it down but I do know that it does not work by passing through the liver, which is different from most drugs.

      Delete
  11. Hi Jack. I'm sorry that your on site mentor and friend resigned. I hope she finds what she is looking for in a new job. However I think this may be a bittersweet outcome because you get to analyze your project from the viewpoint of another! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! I think some good will come of it. I have learned some life lessons.

      Delete