Friday, April 7, 2017

Almost There

Hello avid readers and welcome to the penultimate week of my project!


I'm almost done with the 10 weeks of my senior project! wooooohooooo. These past 2 months have been an emotional roller coaster. There were some good times and there were some bad times. I learned a lot and grew emotionally, spiritually, and geopolitically. Even though Dr. Lalani's office has been a great source of training and knowledge, I think ten weeks is the perfect amount of time for a research project. This way I can become accustomed to and knowledgeable about something and leave before my on-site mentor runs out of things for me to do.

This week in the office went very similar to last week where I would print off the different files of patients that are needed by Heather and various companies that need to check that Lalani's office has followed the standard operating procedure for treating certain conditions. Once again, along with progress notes I printed out what those companies needed, the results from past tests. This week Heather explained to me what the results I was printing out were actually for, which made my life more interesting. Apparently, when a patient has newly diagnosed diabetes, they go through five tests to confirm that they have diabetes, so the doctors have more specific data about the patient's individual case of diabetes.

The five tests are called the Doppler, Nerve Conduction, Smart Skan, Thyroid Biopsy, and a Retinal Scan. I am not sure on the specifics of these tests or how they work, but I know that in a typical diabetes screening all five are utilized.  Similar to last week, I had to look for these five tests that were performed in the year 2016 in the files of the patients in addition to any progress notes that needed to be printed out. Why only 2016? I don't know but I'm sure companies have their reasons. Or maybe they don't have their reasons and they want these files as a joke, in which case this isn't a very funny prank. Anyways even though what I did in the office was not related to the PGX study, I still got to learn a bit about diabetes and continue helping Heather and the other office people with stuff that needs to be done and no one wants to do. Seriously, this one woman treats me like a saint every time I come in, because if I didn't print out this stuff then she would have to do it.

Outside of the office, I have slowly been putting together my power point for the final presentation. I will put the date of the presentation in my next post, because I am drawing a blank on when it is while I'm writing this post. I hope it goes well. It shouldn't be too hard. At least I don't think so. I mean even if it doesn't go well, what are they gonna do? Make me not graduate? On second thought, maybe that's how it works. Welp, we will find out. I gotta go now. I'll see you all next week!



22 comments:

  1. We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel Jack. You're office work is important and it's good that your adviser treats you well. I hope that your work with diabetes can give insights about your main PGX study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spencer! I am hoping I will be able to tie in my PGX knowledge and my diabetes knowledge somehow.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you have been able to be of good help to your mentor. I can't wait to see your presentation in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Carey! I'll try to make my presentation good for you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jack! Out of curiosity, how did you grow geopolitically? Also, in atypical cases of diabetes, do you know if any tests other than those five are used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep up morale Jack! Beautiful rhetoric as always, and a shame there's soon no more to read. But, in light of the applications of your labor, do you feel like your current position is more or less impactful than the other job you used to do before the incident? Also, are you excited to move on with your life, or more sad you cannot continue to print documents for the rest of your days?

      Delete
    2. Hey Dhanya! I grew geopolitically, because I expanded my empire to this doctor's office. And I'm assuming that they also have other tests for diabetes but I just don't know about them. I would imagine that they aren't that common, or as common.

      Delete
    3. Hey Dalton! I think that both jobs are impactful, because I am making other people's lives who work in this office easier but the PGX work was probably more impactful, because it helped contribute to the accomplishing of a study. To your other question, I am about ready to move on. I want to go to college lol.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jack! It is interesting to see that 5 full tests are needed to fully diagnose diabetes. Also, good luck on your presentation! I bet you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After all of your hardships and fortunes, what was your favorite part of the project? Also, what does a retinal scan have to do with diabetes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! My favorite part was probably swabbing a mouth and bonding with Carol. Diabetes patients get a retinal scan, because years of untreated diabetes can cause fluid to leak into the eye and lead to blindness. So, a retinal can is done to examine the blood vessels in the eyes of the diabetes patients.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've been busy helping out Heather! Just out of curiosity, what would go in the results section of your Powerpoint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin! So when I first pictured this project in my head, I had access to the exit surveys for the PGX study so I could use those results. But, I don't really have access to those so my results will probably be describing what I learned from participating in the study in general.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jack! Looks like everything is going accordingly! Do the 5 different tests produce different results which show potential diabetics. I wish you luck on your powerpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey! I could be wrong, because I am not an expert but I am pretty sure you can detect if someone is diabetic from just one of the tests but then the other tests are there to provide information like the length of time the patient has been a diabetic and the severity of the condition.

      Delete
  8. Hi jack! It's good that you have been able to hold through this project. Hopefully your project turns out to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I am hoping it turns out great also!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, your posts are so great Jack! Enjoy your last week and you might learn something new again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I am so happy you enjoy them! I'll try to learn something new for the last week!

      Delete
  10. Hey Jack. It's good that you are able to experience different aspects of working in a medical office even if they didn't exactly relate to the PGX study. Sounds like your project is going great and can't wait to read your final post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anisha! I'll try to make my final post a good one!

      Delete